The next time you take delivery of your order of Hope Cement, take a moment to ask yourself how much you really know about what’s in the bag…
Did you know that…?
- Cement is the most widely consumed commodity in the world after water, with around 4 billion tonnes used worldwide every year.
- It was used in the construction of the Great Wall of China.
- The cost of a new cement plant is equivalent to around three years’ turnover – the cement industry is among the most capital-intensive of all industries.
- (Don’t try this with your next Hope Cement delivery…) Former professional darts player and Master Builder Bobby George used to have a special ‘party trick’: lifting a 50kg bag of cement and raising it above his head – with one hand!
- China used more cement between 2011 and 2013 than the USA did during the whole of the 20th century – the same century in which the USA built Hoover Dam and the Interstate Highway System.
- Fashion brand Fikay Eco sells bags made from recycled cement bags and uses the proceeds to help support education and employment in Cambodia (if you fancy one for yourself, you can buy it in The Big Issue Shop).
- Cement is a really useful guide to the health of our economy. Consumption tends to track GDP closely.
- WARNING: Your relationship may be at risk if you follow some of the gift advice on this website! Yes, you can actually buy jewellery, vases, furniture, lamps, tableware, clocks – and even Valentine trinkets, all made from cement: https://www.buzzfeed.com/pippa/concrete-diy-5ocbutm_term=.uup1egXpB#.gkrrVzkAN
- Builders merchants’ sales of cement increase when a loyalty scheme is offered to their customers. So don’t forget to download the Hope Cement app today and start collecting points. And what do points mean…???